Any organization that keeps large amounts of records has to consider how to dispose of those records when they are no longer needed. One option is to utilize paper shredding services. If you are trying to find out if these services are right for your company, you need to gain a better understanding of the pros and cons of using the service.
There are several pros to using a service to shred your documents. Depending on your business, these can include:
• Simplifying the Destruction Process – When you destroy your own documents, you have to have the appropriate equipment. While having it can be convenient, you also have to make sure it is properly maintained. You will also be responsible for any repairs if the equipment breaks down. With an outside company handling it, all you have to do is gather the files and schedule for a pickup.
• Better Productivity – You will not have to pull your own employees off of important projects and duties to handle the destruction process, making sure that your productivity remains high.
• Eliminates Security Issues – The information contained in your old files may be related to business operations, past and current employees, and even private customer information. By hiring outside services for your paper shredding needs, you ensure that the information is not compromised. In most cases, you even have the option to watch over the destruction process as it occurs on the truck.
• Better for the Environment – Most companies that handle document destruction services recycle all products in the files. These green companies are becoming the standard for all shredder service providers, ensuring that you are doing your part to help protect the environment.
As with any type of outside service, there are some cons that go along with this option. These include:
• Overall Cost – For smaller organizations that do not generate a significant amount of information for destruction, the overall cost of the process may be a consideration. The best way to determine whether this is a good choice for your company is to compare the cost with the amount of hours you would have to pay your own employees to do the same thing. You will also need to consider the costs of the machines, as well as maintenance and repairs that may be needed.
Now that you understand the pros and cons of paper shredding services, you will be better equipped to make the best decision for your organization.